Saturday, January 20, 2007

Brew #28 Belgian Dubbel: Bottled

Brew #28, the Belgian Dubbel, is now bottled. Of course I tried some of the green beer, it definitely has a Belgian character to it, it reminds me a lot of Chimay's Brown Label.

I bottled 21 beer bottles of various sizes, and also one champagne bottle just to see what would happen. I'm hoping to save it for something like a year to see how the character of this beer changes over time. I put about 2.5 gallons of it in a keg, partly because bottling is pretty tedious, and partly because I'm afraid I'm going to run out of the Irish Red that's on tap now, and partly as yet another an experiment to see how bottling and kegging affect the taste. Officially, I should wait until February to start in on it... "Ready in Two Months" was the tag line in the instructions. I'm looking forward to this one!

Final gravity: 1.006. This gives an ABV of 5.7%. A tad lower than is typical, I think because there was extra water in the kettle when I added the spargings. But that's fine.

The Carmenere/Cabernet-Sauvignon is also ready to bottle, I'll probably do that in the next day or two.

No comments: